Why Choose LED Lights?
LED stands for light emitting diode and is light produced using the movement of electrons
LEDs have been the talk of the lighting world for quite some time now. Each day seems to bring about a new LED story in the media – from their use in domestic energy efficiency upgrades to their role in illuminating some of the world’s biggest stadia.
LEDs played a played a prominent role in the London 2012 Olympics no less.
Indeed, while LED’s represented 7% of the worlds’ total lighting market in 2008 the US Department of Energy predicts a significant rise in market share to around 50% by 2027. Suffice to say, they’re becoming increasingly popular.
What is so special about LEDs?
Conventional incandescent bulbs and lamps, for example, generate a lot of heat when they light up (the filament must be warmed). So a high portion of the available electricity isn’t going on producing visible light. LEDs, however, generate much less heat which noticeably cuts down the electricity demands.
LEDs are driven by direct current, and the amount of current determines the brightness. The brightness of the LED is proportional to the current flowing through the LED, more current, more light. So LEDs are energy saving lights.
In fact, LED lights are reputed to be around 300% more efficient than fluorescent lighting and up to 1,000% more efficient than a standard incandescent bulb.
What are the other benefits of LEDs over conventional light sources?
- A longer operational life. LEDs have a life of about 50,000 hours.
- More compact. No other lamp possesses such small dimensions for a comparative light output.
- Do not emit ultraviolet (UV) or infrared (IR) radiation. LEDs not radiate heat in the direction of the illuminated object; they can therefore be used to illuminate materials that fade easily, food, works of art etc.
- More durable against impact and vibration.
- They produce effective coloured light. More than 16 million colours.
The surge in popularity of LEDs has met with a dramatic increase in the variety of LED light options available around the home. They also handily fit easily into contemporary electronics circuits.
As ever if you have any queries relating to LED lights or bathroom lighting please note that we offer a live support service.