To illustrate IP zoning regulations, we show a bathroom area divided up into areas or ‘ZONES’ which are classified using the numbers 0, 1 & 2. Luminaires are then assigned an ‘IP RATING’ which indicated how much protection they provide against ingress of water and other particles. Each zone has a minimum IP requirement that must be met if a fitting is to be installed in this area.
1. In zones 1 & 2, if there are is a likelihood of water jets being used for cleaning purposes, a minimum of IPX5 is required.
2. In zones 1 & 2, SELV or 240V luminaires may be used (subject to IP rating)
3. The above information is intended as a guide only. For detailed information refer to the I.E.E. Wiring Regulations or speak to your electrician.
“IP” (“Ingress Protection”) RATING
Protection against ingress of foreign bodies e.g. tools, dust, fingers, ect.
Protection against ingress of liquids i.e. IP44 is protected against solid objects greater than 1mm and water sprayed from all directions.
0. No protection
1. Protected against solid objects greater than 50mm (e.g. accidental touch by hands)
2. Protected against solid objects up to 12mm (e.g. fingers)
3. Protected against solid objects greater than 2.5mm (e.g. tools & wires)
4. Protected against solid objects greater than 1mm (e.g. small tools & wires)
5. Protected against dust, limited ingress (e.g. no harmful deposit)
6. Totally protected from dust
0. No protection
1. Protection against vertically falling drops of water (e.g. condensation)
2. Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from vertical
3. Protection against direct sprays of water up to 60 degrees from vertical
4. Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted
5. Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress permitted
6. Protected against high pressure jets of water (use on ship deck) - limited ingress permitted
7. Protected against the effects of immersion between 15cm and 1m
8. Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure